Research Professor of Law
- Doctor of Juridical Science (S.J.D.), Universidad Europea de Madrid, Spain, from which he graduated with the highest-grade point average of his class
- Post Graduate studies in universities in the United States and England
- Diploma in Comparative Law Mexico and USA, Universidad de Guadalajara, Mexico
- J.D., Universidad de Guadalajara, México, from which he graduated with the highest-grade point average of his class
- B.S., Universidad de Guadalajara, México
Specialties and Courses
- Comparative Law: México and the United States
- Legal Spanish & Mexican Legal System
- Matrimonial Canon Law
- Doing Business with Mexico (taught in Spanish)
A native of Guadalajara, Mexico, Rosas was a lawyer, educator, businessman and engineer, before joining St. Mary’s. He has been a Visiting Professor at the St. Mary’s University School of Law since 1994, Instructor of Law since 2000 and Research Professor of Law since 2016. He teaches courses in Comparative Law: Mexico and the United States, Legal Spanish and the Mexican Legal System and Current Legal Aspects of Doing Business with Mexico. Rosas taught law at the Universidad de Guadalajara School of Law as a Tenure Track Professor.
Rosas worked for various law firms in Guadalajara, and later, he established a solo practice. He has worked as a consultant to the Mexican government on public administration projects, the CEO of a business consulting firm, a business manager, an industrial engineer and a canon lawyer.
He has lectured in the United States, Spain and Mexico and is the author of numerous law review articles on the law of these countries that have been published in countries of the Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa and Oceania.
He received the 2013 Distinguished Faculty Award from the St. Mary’s University Alumni Association.
Rosas received the 1995 Presidential Award of the State Bar of Texas. He has organized a number of courses and unique international events with the Bar.
He was elected director of the Commission on Legal Affairs for the Advisory Council of the Institute of Mexicans Living Abroad in 2013, where his primary role was advising the President of Mexico in the design and formulation of public policies concerning the Mexican communities in the United States and Canada.
In February 2014, at the headquarters of the National Human Rights Commission in Mexico City, Rosas was elected president of the Centro de los Mexicanos en la Globalización (Center for Mexicans in the Globalization).
He initiated the plan and served as Chairperson to host “The Centennial of the Constitution of Mexico Celebratory Conference” at St. Mary´s in 2017.
Organizer of the Binational Conversation on Mexican Women´s Perspectives at St. Mary´s University in 2016.
Articles in a Periodical
- Evolution of Legal Topics, Rights and Obligations in the United States, 8 Russian J. Compar. L. 17 (2021)
- “Evolution of Legal Topics, Rights and Obligations in the United States”, Эволюция юридических тем, прав и обязанностей в США,Russian Journal of Comparative Law, Volume 8, Issue 2, 2021, Russia.
- “Maternity Rights: A Comparative Analysis of Mexico and the United States”, The Scholar: St. Mary´s Law Review on Race and Social Justice, Volume 23, 2021, USA.
- “Migration Through the Mirror” / “La Migración a Través del Espejo”, Mexican Women´s Perspectives of What It Means for them When Mexicans Move North: A Binational Conversation, Book Edited by Roberto Rosas, Fastcase FULL COURT PRESS and St.MLP-ST. MARY´S LAW PRESS, 2020, USA. This book was presented at the Guadalajara International Book Fair, better known as the FIL (from its Spanish name: Feria Internacional del Libro de Guadalajara) in 2020, the largest book fair in the Spanish-speaking world and second largest book fair in the world after Frankfurt’s (Germany).
- “A Comparative Study of Trademarks between USMCA (U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement) and NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement)”, Boston University International Law Journal, Volume 38: Issue 1, 2020, USA.
- “Foreign Patent Decisions and Harmonization: A View of the Presumption Against Giving Foreign Patent Decisions Preclusive Effect in United States Proceedings in Light of Patent Law International Harmonization”, The J. Marshall Review of Intellectual Property Law, VOLUME 18 • ISSUE 1 • 2019, USA.
- Book Review: “Lavado de Dinero y Defraudación Fiscal en el Derecho Positivo Mexicano (Money Laundering and Tax Fraud in the Mexican Legal System by Julio Aspe”, St. Mary´s Law Journal, Volume 51 – Number 1 – 2019, USA.
- The Ecclesiastical Tribunals Field Hospital for Wounded Marriages The New Matrimonial Processes Brevoir, Seattle Journal for Social Justice, Seattle University School of Law, Volume 16 • Issue 2 • 2017, USA.
- The Development of Legal Rights in the American Legal System, 8 Russ. J. Comp. L. 73 (2016), available at http://ejournal41.com/journals_n/1468166376.pdf
- Canon 1095 and the Dignitas Connubbi: The Role of Consent, Incapacity, and Psychic Anomalies in Cases of Matrimonial Nullity, Ateneo Law Journal, Ateneo de Manila University School of Law, Philippines, Volume 58, 2014.
- Trademarks Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) With References to the Current Mexican Law, Marquette Intellectual Property Law Review, Volume 18, 2014, Number 1.
- New Legal Rights in the Legal System of the United States of America: The East African Journal of Peace and Human Rights, Faculty of Law Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda, December, 2009. Matrimonial Consent in Canon Law, Juridical Aspects: Revista Jurídica Universidad Interamerican de Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico, Mayo 2009, Volumen XLIII, Número 3.
- New Legal Rights in the Legal System of the United States of America: Iuris Tantum, México, Otoño-Invierno 2008, Año XXIII, Número 19.
- Comparative Study of the Formation of Electronic Contracts in American Law with References to International Law: The Indian Society of International Law, New Delhi, India, July-September 2006, Vol. 46, No. 3.
- Un Enfoque Comparativo Sobre la Formación de los Contratos en el Derecho Estadounidense y el Derecho Internacional: Iuris Tantum, México, Otoño-Invierno 2006, Año XXI, Número 17.
- Los Nuevos Derechos en el Sistema Jurídico de los Estados Unidos: Iuris Tantum, México, Otoño-Invierno 2005, Año XX, Número 16.
- Estudio Comparativo de la Formación de Contratos Electrónicos en el Derecho Estadounidense con Referencia al Derecho Internacional y al Derecho Mexicano: Revista de Derecho Privado, México, Septiembre de 2004-Abril de 2005, Nueva Época, Año III, Instituto de Investigaciones Jurídicas, UNAM (National Autonomous University of Mexico).
- Comparative Study in the Formation of Electronic Contracts in American Law with References to International and Mexican Law: The Newcastle Law Review, Australia, 2004-05, Vol. 8, No. 2.
- Contratos Electrónicos: Comparación Sobre su Formación: Revista de la Contratación Electrónica, España, Junio 2004, Núm. 50.
- Maternity Rights in Mexico with Reference to the Spanish and American Law: Journal of Law & Social Challenges, University of San Francisco School of Law, Fall 2004, Vol. 6, No. 1.
- Las Marcas en el Tratado de Libre Comercio de América del Norte (“Trademarks and NAFTA”): Boletín Mexicano de Derecho Comparado, Mayo-Agosto 2003, Nueva Serie, Año XXXVI, Núm. 107, México, Instituto de Investigaciones Jurídicas of the UNAM. The article is available online. An abstract in English of the article is also available.
- Comparative Study of the Formation of Electronic Contracts in American Law with References to International and Mexican Law: Houston Journal of International Law, Fall 2003, Vol. 26, No. 1.
- Trademarks Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) With References to the New Trademark Law of Spain, Effective July 31, 2002, and the Current Mexican Law: New York International Law Review, Summer 2003, Vol. 16, No. 2.
- Comparative Law Mexico and USA, Doctor of Juridical Science (S.J.D.) Program, Universidad de Guadalajara, Summers 2016-2019
- Derecho Comparado México – Estados Unidos, Doctor of Jurisprudence Program Universidad de Guadalajara, March 10, 2015, Guadalajara, Jalisco, México.
- Lectio Brevis, J.S.D. Program Universidad de Guadalajara, August 18, 2014, Guadalajara, Jalisco, México.
- Business Associations and Business Law Mexico-US, LL.M. Program Universidad Panamericana, from 2009 to 2019, Guadalajara and Aguascalientes, México.
- Acciones Gubernamentales de Mexico Para Su Comunidad Migrante, December 14, 2013, Tlaxcala
- 1er Congreso Mundial de Derecho del Trabajo y de Seguraidad Social, October 11, 2013, Chihuahua Mexico
- Seminario Jurídico-Empresarial Sobre Derecho Estadounidense, March 1, 2002, Acuña, Coahuila, México
- México y la Integración del TLCAN y TLCUEM – Un enfoque jurídico, December 4, 2001, Madrid, España
- Anatomía de un Arbitraje Transfronterizo, November 21, 2001, Monterrey, Nuevo León, México
- Seminario de Capacitación Jurídico-Empresarial para la Internacionalización de Empresas e Inversionistas Mexicanos a los Estados Unidos, December 6-7, 2001, San Antonio, Texas
- Las Sociedades en el Derecho Estadounidense – Notarios Corredores Públicos, Abogados y Empresarios de México, June 29-30, July 1, 2000, Huixquilucan, Estado de Mexico, México
- Family Law: The U.S. Perspective, June 5, 1998, San Antonio, Texas
- Abogados de las Américas – Introducción al Derecho de los Negocios y Derecho Comparado México-Estados Unidos, March 13-15, 1997, Guadalajara, Jalisco, México
- Dual Nationality: New Options for U.S. Citizens of Mexican Descent, February 21, 1997, San Antonio, Texas
- Mexican Law Symposium, October 30-31, 1995, San Antonio, Texas
- Métodos Alternos de Solución de Controversias, November 16, 21, and 30, 1995