In response to the COVID-19 situation, the Office of Financial Assistance will be operating and serving customers in an electronic format until further notice. We understand these are challenging times, but we also want to reassure our students, faculty and staff that this transition will not disrupt our support of your needs.
We are available to connect virtually from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call us at 210-436-3141 so that we can provide assistance. We can answer your questions or set up a Zoom appointment for a future time.
If you need to submit documents, please submit them through Gateway.
We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.
Understanding one’s rights and responsibilities as a borrower and one’s ability to manage the expenses involved in attending law school is critical.
Although it is the applicant’s responsibility to gather this information, St. Mary’s can help students to become educated consumers. The best time to begin to gather financial information is now.
Law Financial Aid Checklist
- Apply for FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) via https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa
- Review your financial aid status by checking Gateway via https://gateway.stmarytx.edu/web/mycampus/home.
- You can then expect an Unsubsidized Stafford Loan award offer for the aid year (Fall and Spring)
To Review/Accept your loan offer, you can follow the steps below:
- Under LAUNCHPAD > Select Financial Aid
- In the new window, select Award then View Award Offer and Select Aid Year
- Select the Accept Award Offer tab and begin Accepting or Declining your loans
Then complete the Unsubsidized Federal loan requirements via https://studentaid.gov/h/complete-aid-process.
- Entrance Counseling
- Master Promissory Note for Graduate/Professional Students
Optional: If you need help finding credit-based loan options to assist beyond the Unsubsidized Stafford loan amount, the following are available:
- Graduate PLUS Loan which can be applied for through https://studentaid.gov/plus-app/grad/landing.
- You can review all other options via https://www.elmselect.com/v4/school/849/program-select
Student Loan Information
- Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
- The Unsubsidized Stafford Loan is automatically awarded when students submit their FAFSA. You can find details on loan limits, interest rates, and terms of repayment at www.StudentAid.gov.
- You will need to complete Loan Entrance Counseling and sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN) at www.StudentAid.gov.
- Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are non-need based and may be offered up to a maximum of $20,500 per academic year. The maximum aggregate for Stafford loans is $138,500, of which no more than $65,500 may be subsidized.
- Credit-based Loan options
Forms and Resources
HOW TO APPEAL
If you fail to meet the minimum Satisfactory Academic Progress standards (SAP), you will be placed on Suspension.
The Appeals Committee will review your appeal and determine whether the suspension is justified. You will be notified in writing of the final decision. If your appeal is granted, the status will be updated to Probation and you will be eligible for financial aid for the next semester. If your appeal is not approved, you may become eligible again by meeting the standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
Office of Financial Assistance
St. Louis Hall, Suite 301
St. Mary’s University Box #41
One Camino Santa Maria
San Antonio, Texas 78228