Reamey practiced law in the Dallas-Fort Worth area for six years. Immediately prior to moving to San Antonio, he was Police Legal Advisor to the Irving, Texas, police department and for five years he taught as Adjunct Professor of Management in the Graduate School of Management of the University of Dallas. A consultant and regular lecturer for law enforcement agencies, the criminal defense bar and the judiciary, Reamey has taught a variety of courses, primarily in the field of criminal law and procedure. He has served as Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs at St. Mary's. Biography
Reamey is the co-founder of the Institute on World Legal Problems in Innsbruck, Austria, and often serves as the director or a faculty member of the Institute. He has been a visiting professor at both the University of Innsbruck and the University of Vienna, teaching courses in comparative criminal procedure and the American criminal justice system.
Visiting Professor, Institute for Criminal Law and Criminology, University of Vienna, Spring 2008
Frequent Co-Director, St. Mary’s Institute on World Legal Problems in Innsbruck, Austria
San Antonio Bar Association Community Justice Program Excellence in Pro Bono Award, 2015
Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs, 1993-97
Visiting Professor, Institute for Criminal Law of the University of Innsbruck, Austria, Spring, 1993
Visiting Professor, Institute for Criminal Law and Criminology, University of Vienna, Austria, Fall, 1999
Co-founder (1985), Associate Director (1989-2001) and Director (2001-2003), St. Mary’s Institute on World Legal Problems in Innsbruck, Austria
Director, St. Mary’s Center for International Legal Studies, 1999-2004
Recipient of St. Mary’s Distinguished Faculty Award, 1992
Lecturer and consultant, Texas Municipal Courts Education Center, since 1985
Member, Executive Board of SMU Law School, 1991-1997
Honors and Awards
Managing Editor, Journal of Air Law and Commerce
Order of the Coif
Culture Medal of Honor, awarded by the City of Innsbruck, Austria
Elected Member, American Law Institute
Honorary Life Member, Texas Police Association
St. Mary's University Distinguished Faculty Award
Leadership Award, Texas Supreme Court, for judicial education
Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
National Alumni Board, Trinity University
Executive Committee, SMU School of Law
Distinguished Military Graduate
Outstanding Law Review Article Award, Texas Bar Foundation (2017)
- The False Dichotomy: Life in an “Adversarial” System, FESTSCHRIFT FRANK HÖPFEL, VIELFALT DES STRAFRECHTS IM INTERNATIONALEN KONTEXT (Kert and Lehner editors)(NWV 2018).
- PRINCIPLES OF TEXAS CRIMINAL LAW (Amazon 2016)
- TEXAS CRIMINAL PROCEDURE 13th ed. (2016) (with Bubany)
- Criminal Offenses and Defenses in Texas (The Harrison Company, 1987; 2d ed. 1993; 3d ed. 2000, Annual supplements).
- Texas Criminal Procedure (Academia Press, 1989; 2d ed. 1991; 3d ed. 1993; 4th ed.1996; 5th ed. 1999; 6th ed. 2001; 7th ed. 2003, 8th ed. 2006, 9th ed. 2008), 10th ed. 2010, 11th ed. 2013 (editions 1-4 with Steele, editions 5-11 with Bubany).
- A Peace Officer’s Guide to Texas Law (Texas Police Association, 1985; 2d ed. 1987; 3d ed.1989; 4th ed. 1991 (with Coyle); 5th ed. 1993; 6th ed. 1995; 7th ed. 1997; 8th ed. 1999; 9th ed. 2001; 10th ed. 2003; 11th ed. 2005; 12th ed. 2007; 13th ed. 2009; 14th ed. 2011).
- Exclusion of Evidence within the EU and Beyond (contributing author)(Höpfel & Huber, editors)(iuscrim – Max-Planck-Institut for Foreign and International Criminal Law 1999).
Articles in Periodicals
- CONSTITUTIONAL SHAPESHIFTING: GIVING THE FOURTH AMENDMENT SUBSTANCE IN THE TECHNOLOGY DRIVEN WORLD OF CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION, 14 Stan. J. Civ. Rts. & Civ. Liberties 201 (2018).
- What’s Fear Got to Do With It?: The Armed and Dangerous Requirement of Terry, 100 Marquette Law Review 231 (2016).
- Deadly Misunderstandings About Police Use of Deadly Force, Texas Police Journal (March/April 2016)
- The Truth Might Set You Free: How the Michael Morton Act Could Fundamentally Change Texas Criminal Discovery, or Not, 48 Texas Tech Law Review 931 (2016)
- A History and Review of U.S. Whistleblower Legislation, Papers, “New Challenges For Anti-Corruption Measures and for the Protection of EU Financial Interests” Conference (Austrian Association for European Criminal Law and the International Anti-Corruption Academy, Vienna, Austria, May, June 2014).
- The Value of Cooperative Ventures, Festschrift Herwig Van Staa (Universitätsverlag Wagner 2014).
- America’s European Legal Legacy, Aspekte der Rechtsgeschichte und der Gesellschaftspolitik in Tirol, Österreich und weltweit: Festschrift Zum 70. Geburtstag Von Kurt Ebert (Abagar 2013).
- The Use of Anticipatory Warrants in Texas: The Porn’s in the Mail, 41 Search and Seizure Law Report 1 (January 2014).
- The Promise of Things to Come: Anticipatory Warrants in Texas, 46 Baylor L.Rev. 473 (2012)
- Innovation or Renovation in Criminal Procedure: Is the World Moving Toward a New Model of Adjudication?, 27 Ariz. J. Int’l & Comp. L. 324 (2010).
- Life in the Early Days of Lawyer Advertising: Personal Recollections of a Bates Baby, 37 ST. Mary’s L.J. 887 (2006)
- The Growing Role of Fortuity in Texas Criminal Law, 47 S. Tex. L. REV. 59 (2005)
- The “Suspicious Places” Exception to Texas’ Arrest Warrant Requirement: The Wild, Wild West Meets the New “New Federalism,” 28 Search And Seizure Law Report 1 (January-February 2001).
- Having It All: Pleading Guilty Without Forfeiting the Right to Appeal, 50 DOCKET CALL 1 (May, 2000).
- Arrests in Texas’s “Suspicious Places”: A Rule in Search of Reason, 31 Tex. Tech L. Rev. 931 (2000).
- An Extradition Model for the EU: Interstate Rendition Within a Federal System, Papers, “The Future of Extradition In The European Union” Colloquium (Institut für Strafrecht und Krimologie der Universität Wien, Vienna, Austria, 2000).
- Professor Steele’s Opus, 52 SMU L. Rev. 703 (1999); 64 J. Air L. & Com. 657 (1999)
- Barratry: The Latest Chapter in the Fight for the Hearts and Minds (and Fees) of Clients, 18 Headnotes 3 (February 15, 1994).
- Should America Consider Criminal Procedure Reform Based on the European Model?, Papers, Rechtvergleichendesstrafprozessrechts Seminar, (Irsee, Germany, 1993).
- Client Solicitation in Texas, 17 Headnotes 4 (February 15, 1993).
- Charging Instruments, Course Materials, Criminal Defense Lawyers Project Skills Course (1992).
- Special Needs Analysis in Fourth Amendment Adjudication: the Denigration of Probable Cause, 19 Search and Seizure Law Report 49 (1992).
- Up in Smoke: Fourth Amendment Rights and the Burger Court, 45 OKLA L. REV. 57 (1992)
- When “Special Needs” Meet Probable Cause: Denying the Devil Benefit of Law, 19 Hastings Const. L.Q. 295 (1992).
- The Crime of Barratry: Criminal Responsibility for a Breach of Professional Responsibility, 53 Tex. B.J. 1011 (1990).
- Warrantless Arrest Jurisdiction in Texas: An Analysis and A Proposal, 19 ST. MARY’S L.J. 857 (1988) (with Harkins).
- A Municipal Police Officer’s Jurisdiction to Arrest Without Warrant, Attorney General’s Criminal Law Update1 (April, 1988).
- The Permissible Scope of Automobile Inventory Searches in Texas in the Aftermath of Colorado v. Bertine: A Talisman is Created, 18 Tex. Tech L. Rev. 1165 (1987) (with Bassett and Molchan)
- Are Federal Civil Rights Suits Really a Threat to Law Enforcement?, Texas Police Journal, April, 1986.
- New Jersey v. T.L.O.: The Supreme Court’s Lesson on School Searches, 16 ST. Mary’s L.J. 933 (1985).
- Legal Remedial Alternatives for Spouse Abuse in Texas, 29 Houston L. REV. 1279 (1983) (reprinted in Courses Materials, Special Criminal Law Institute: Assault (Criminal Defense Lawyers Project, 1984)).
- Reevaluating the Vehicle Inventory, 19 Crim. L. Bull., 325 (1983).
- Defining the “Policy or Custom” Requirement of Monell, Texas Police Journal, August, 1983; The Police Chief, August, 1983
- A Statutory Sentencing Alternative for Alcohol-Related Crimes, 12 Voice for the Defense 12 (February, 1983) (reprinted in 9 The Magazine of the Texas Commission on Alcoholism 14 (Fall, 1982)).
- Civil Liability and the First Line Supervisor, Texas Police Journal, June, 1982.
- Courtroom Training – The Forgotten Phase of Police Work, Texas Police Journal, July, 1981.
- City Defense of Police Officers: The Approach of Article 1269s, Texas Police Journal, January, 1981 (Part I), February, 1981 (Part II).
- Pardoning War Crimes Does Not Honor Those Who Serve, San Antonio Express-News, June 2, 1029.
- Guest commentator on criminal justice topics, The Source, Texas Public Radio.
- Bias Affects Us All – Civilians and Police, San Antonio Express-News, July 23, 2016
Shorter Works in Collections
- Comment: Charter Air Travel: Paper Airplanes in a Dogfight, J. Air L. & Com. 405 (1976)
- Casenote: Allegheny Airlines, Inc. v. United States, 41 J. Air L. & Com. 511 (1975)