- J.D., University of Texas at Austin, 1982
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Law, Psychiatry and Statistics, The Johns Hopkins University, 1977
- Ph.D, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1975
- M.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1972
- B.A., University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa, 1970
Specialties and Courses
- Contract law
- Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act
- Insurance law
- Consumer protection law
- Law and economics
- Law and statistics
Prior to receiving his law degree, Rice taught in the Department of Sociology at Duke University. Before joining the faculty at Texas Tech University School of Law in 1989, Rice was a Visiting Public-Law Professor in the Department of Government, University of Texas at Austin, and a Scholar-In-Residence at the American Bar Foundation in Chicago. He was a tenured Professor of Law at Texas Tech from 1993 to 2000. Rice joined the St. Mary’s faculty in 1999 as a visiting professor. He became a full-time professor at St. Mary’s in 2000.
In addition, for nearly 30 years, he has served as a certified legal expert and statistician/econometrician for hundreds of international, national and regional law firms and their clients. Currently, he serves as an opinion expert in a 10-year, international “mass tort” and “insurance defense” lawsuit.
Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, St. Mary’s School of Law, 2005-2006
- President’s Excellence in Teaching Award, Texas Tech School of Law, 1993
- Ex-Students’ New Faculty Teaching Award, Texas Tech School of Law, 1990
- Order of the Coif, 1997
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 1992
Articles in Periodicals
- Willy E. Rice, Allegedly “Biased,” “Intimidating,” And “Incompetent” State Court Judges And The Questionable Removal Of State Law Class Actions To Purportedly “Impartial” And “Competent” Federal Courts-A Historical Perspective And An Empirical Analysis Of Class Action Dispositions In Federal And State Courts, 1925-2011, 3 William & Mary Business Law Review 419 (2012);
- The Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit: A Review of Selected 2009-2010 Insurance Decisions, 43 TEX. TECH L. REV. 971 (2011).
- The Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit: A Review of 2007-2008 Insurance Decisions, 41 Tex. Tech L. Rev. 1013 (2009).
- The Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit: A Legal Analysis and Statistical Review of 2005-2006 Insurance Decisions, 39 Tex. Tech L. Rev. 843 (2007).
- The Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit 2004-2005 Disposition of Insurance Decisions: A Survey and Statistical Review, 38 Tex. Tech L. Rev. 821 (2006);
- The Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit 2003-2004 Insurance Decisions: A Survey and an Empirical Analysis, 37 Tex. Tech L. Rev. 871 (2005);
- Insurance Decisions — A Survey and an Empirical Analysis, 35 Tex. Tech L. Rev. 947 (2004).
- Willy E. Rice, Insurance Contracts and Judicial Decisions Over Whether Insurers Must Defend Insureds That Violate Constitutional And Civil Rights: An Historical And Empirical Review Of Federal And State Court Declaratory Judgments 1900-2000, 35 Tort & Ins. L.J. 995 (2000);
- Insurance Contracts and Judicial Discord Over Whether Liability Insurers Must Defend Insureds’ Allegedly Intentional and Immoral Conduct: A Historical and Empirical Review of Federal and State Courts’ Declaratory Judgments 1900-1997, 47 Am. U. L Rev. 1131 (1998);
- Race, Gender, “Redlining,” and the Discriminatory Access to Loans, Credit, and Insurance: An Historical and Empirical Analysis of Consumers Who Sued Leders and Insurers in Federal and State Courts, 1950-1995, 33 San Diego L. Rev. 583 (1996).
- Federal Courts and the Regulation of the Insurance Industry: An Empirical and Historical Analysis of Courts’ Ineffectual Attempts to Harmonize Federal Antitrust, Arbitration, and Insolvency Statutes with the McCarran-Ferguson Act–1941-1993, 43 Cath. U. L. Rev. 399 (1993).
- Judicial Bias, The Insurance Industry and Consumer Protection: An Empirical Analysis of State Supreme Courts’ Bad-Faith, Breach-of-Contract, and Breach-of-Covenant-of-Good-Faith and Excess-Judgment Decisions, 1900-1991, 41 Cath. U. L. Rev. 325 (1992).
- Judicial and Administrative Enforcement of Title VI, Title IX, and Section 504: A Pre- and Post-Grove City Analysis, 5 Rev. Litig. 219 (1986).