Alan K. Haynes
Director of Pipeline Initiatives
- J.D., Northeastern University School of Law, 1997
- M.A. University of Texas at San Antonio,1987
- B.A., University of Texas at San Antonio, 1979
Specialties and Courses
- LCAP I and II
- Race and American Law
Director Haynes works with high school, community colleges and undergraduate students to increase the number of diverse students interested in exploring opportunities in the legal profession.
Before joining St. Mary’s University School of Law in 2015 as Assistant Dean for Law Student Affairs, he worked at the University of Minnesota Law School as Director of the Career Center from 2008 to 2015 and as chair of the law school’s diversity committee. From 2005 to 2008, he was the associate director of career services and diversity outreach adviser at Brooklyn Law School. In his prior positions, he enhanced the law school experience for many students by bringing interviews on campus, expanding off-campus interview programs in major markets including New York, Washington D.C., Chicago and San Francisco, and counseling those seeking opportunities in the public and private sector. In addition, while in Minnesota, he co-chaired the Minnesota State Bar Association’s Self-Audit on Gender Equity and Diversity in 2011 and chaired the Minnesota State Bar Association Diversity Committee in 2012.
Before joining academia, Haynes served as associate counsel for New York State United Teachers where he represented public school and other government employees in disciplinary hearings. As an assistant district attorney for the New York County District Attorney’s Office he presented numerous cases to the grand jury and tried felony cases involving domestic violence, criminal sale and possession of controlled substances, robbery, assault and burglary.
Haynes grew up in San Antonio and, prior to earning his law degree, worked as a teacher and a speech and debate director for both MacArthur High School and Lee High School where he coached students to state and national championships.
Articles in a Periodical
- “The Vanishing African American Male in Law Schools”, NALP Bulletin, March 2014.
- “The Danger of a Single Story for Lawyers – Recognizing Our Biases with Clients and Colleagues” – Hennepin County Bar Association, CLE, Minneapolis, MN, November 2014
- “Achieving Diversity Post-Fisher” – NALP Annual Conference, Seattle, WA, April 2014
- “Hypothetically Speaking 2.0: Taking Prosecutor and Public Defender Interview Preparation to the Next Level” – NALP Annual Conference, Seattle, WA, April 2014
- “The Diversity Pipeline: Best Practices and Challenges for Recruiting, Training, and Retaining a Diverse Workforce,” Minnesota Urban Debate League, CLE, Minneapolis, MN, June 2013
- “Beyond Grades and Scores: Factors Predicting Lawyer Success and Effectiveness” – Plenary Session, NALP Annual Conference, April 2011, Palm Desert, CA