Professor of Law
- J.D., University of Kansas, Order of the Coif, 2007
- B.A., University of Utah with highest honors, 2004
License to Practice
Specialties and Courses
- Bankruptcy Law
- Commercial Law
- Business Associations
- Consumer Law
- Civil Procedure
Before joining the St. Mary’s School of Law, Hague taught for 3 years at South Texas College of Law. Prior to that, he was a partner at Fabian Vancott and chair of its bankruptcy practice group. He is experienced in representing secured and unsecured creditors, debtors, debtors-in-possession, trustees and receivers in federal and state court. He has successfully represented clients before the 10th U.S. Circuit and the Bankruptcy Appellate Panel for the 10th U.S. Circuit.
Hague is familiar with all aspects of the Uniform Commercial Code, having litigated in both federal and state court complex issues involving Articles 2, 3, 4, and 9 of the U.C.C. In litigation, Hague has represented clients on issues involving leasing, secured transactions, real property, intellectual property, ERISA, employment, and the FDCPA. He received his law degree from the University of Kansas, where he was managing editor of the Kansas Law Review and a member of the Order of the Coif. He earned his bachelor’s degree in finance from the University of Utah, graduating with high honors.
Hague’s scholarship has appeared in the Utah Law Review, the DePaul Law Review, the Nevada Law Journal, the Catholic Law Review, and the West Virginia Law Review. He is a frequent lecturer on issues involving the Uniform Commercial Code and the Bankruptcy Code.
Honors and Awards
- Order of the Coif
- Mountain States Super Lawyer
- American Bankruptcy Institute of Excellence Award
Articles in a Periodical
- Loopholes for the Affluent Bankrupt, 94.1 St. John’s Law Rev. (Forthcoming 2019).
- Milking the Estate, 121 W. Va. Law Rev. 83 (2019)
- SARE Manipulation: The Hurdles in Single-Asset Real Estate Cases, 67 Cath. U. L. Rev. 280 (2018).
- Fraud on the Court and Abusive Discovery, 16 Nev. Law J. 707 (2016).
- Expanding the Ponzi Scheme Presumption, 64 DePaul L. Rev. 867 (2015).
- Turnover Actions and the “Floating Check” Controversy, 2013 Utah L. Rev. 63 (2013).
- The Ninth Amendment: A Constitutional Challenge to Corporal Punishment in Public Schools. 55 U. Kan. L. Rev. 429 (2007).
- Business Associations: An Online Course for Masters Students, Chad Pomeroy & David Hague (West 2019).
- What Every Guarantor Should Know About the One-Action Rule and Deficiency Actions, The Enterprise (April 2012).
- Chapter 7 Bankruptcy for Guarantors of Business Debt, Utah CEO (November 2009).
- Misrepresentations in the Life, Health, and Disability Insurance Application Process, Utah Chapter, American Bar Association (2009).
- Speaker, I’m an Article 9 Lawyer, So Why Do I Need to Know Articles 1-8 of the UCC? Business Law Section Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C. (September 2019).
- Panelist, New Scholars Corporate Law and Bankruptcy, 2019 Annual Conference, The Southeastern Association of Law Schools (August 2019).
- Panelist, New Scholars Civil Procedure, 2018 Annual Conference, The Southeastern Association of Law Schools (August 2018).
- Presenter, Teaching Secured Transactions: Integrating Ethical/Professionalism Issues, Drafting Assignments, and Learning Outcomes/Assessments, 2016 Annual Conference, The Southeaster Association of Law Schools, Amelia Island, Florida (August 2016).
- Panelist, A New Fulcrum Point for City Survival, 2015 Annual Conference, The Southeastern Association of Law Schools, Boca Raton, Florida (August 2015).
- Panelist, Expanding The Ponzi Scheme Presumption, 2014 Annual Conference, Financial Regulation and Bankruptcy Workshop, The Southeastern Association of Law Schools, Amelia Island, Florida (August 2014).
- Presenter, Defending Against Bankruptcy Avoidance Lawsuits and Purchasing Assets from a Bankruptcy Estate, UBS Financial CPA Seminar, Salt Lake City, UT (June 2012).
- Panelist, Ask the Lawyers: What if the Unexpected Happens? Society of Industrial and Office Realtors, Salt Lake City, UT (April 2012).
- Panelist, Bankruptcy and Foreclosure Issues, Salt Lake Home Builders Association, Salt Lake City, UT (October 2011).
- Panelist, Debtor and Creditor Issues in Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, National Association of Home Builders’ Builder 20 Club #33 Annual Conference, Salt Lake City, UT (March 2010).