Professor of Law | Handy Andy Law Chair | Englehardt Research Fellow
- J.D., University of Kansas, Order of the Coif, 2007
- B.A., University of Utah with highest honors, 2004
License to Practice
Specialties and Courses
- Bankruptcy Law
- Commercial Law
- Business Associations
- Consumer Law
- Civil Procedure
David Hague, J.D., is a tenured professor of law and former partner at a national law firm, where he chaired the bankruptcy practice group. He has extensive experience representing clients in bankruptcy and complex litigation.
Hague is also the founder of two successful start-up companies, which has given him expertise in various business structures, including formation, restructuring, governance, and commercial and contractual matters. These skills help him succeed in the classroom and provide students with real-world instruction. He has written extensively on business and bankruptcy issues, including authoring various law review articles, as well as a casebook on business structures and statutory compliance.
Hague received his law degree from the University of Kansas, where he graduated in the top 10% of his class, was managing editor of the Kansas Law Review, and a member of the Order of the Coif. He earned his bachelor’s degree in finance from the University of Utah, graduating with highest honors. David is admitted to state and federal courts in Utah and Nevada as well as the Tenth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
Honors and Awards
- “Rising Star,” Mountain States Super Lawyers
- Order of the Coif
- American Bankruptcy Institute of Excellence Award
- Managing Editor of the Kansas Law Review
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Golden Key Honor Society
Law Review Articles
- Loopholes for the Affluent Bankrupt, 94.1 St. John’s Law Rev. (Forthcoming 2019).
- Milking the Estate, 121 W. Va. Law Rev. 83 (2019)
- SARE Manipulation: The Hurdles in Single-Asset Real Estate Cases, 67 Cath. U. L. Rev. 280 (2018).
- Fraud on the Court and Abusive Discovery, 16 Nev. Law J. 707 (2016).
- Expanding the Ponzi Scheme Presumption, 64 DePaul L. Rev. 867 (2015).
- Turnover Actions and the “Floating Check” Controversy, 2013 Utah L. Rev. 63 (2013).
- The Ninth Amendment: A Constitutional Challenge to Corporal Punishment in Public Schools. 55 U. Kan. L. Rev. 429 (2007).
- Business Associations: An Online Course for Masters Students, Chad Pomeroy & David Hague (West 2019).
- What Every Guarantor Should Know About the One-Action Rule and Deficiency Actions, THE ENTERPRISE (April 2012).
Chapter 7 Bankruptcy for Guarantors of Business Debt, UTAH CEO (November 2009).
- Misrepresentations in the Life, Health, and Disability Insurance Application Process, Utah Chapter, AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION (2009).
- What Every Guarantor Should Know About the One-Action Rule and Deficiency Actions, The Enterprise (April 2012).
- Chapter 7 Bankruptcy for Guarantors of Business Debt, Utah CEO (November 2009).
- Misrepresentations in the Life, Health, and Disability Insurance Application Process, Utah Chapter, American Bar Association (2009).
- Speaker, I’m an Article 9 Lawyer, So Why Do I Need to Know Articles 1-8 of the UCC? Business Law Section Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C. (September 2019).
- Panelist, New Scholars Corporate Law and Bankruptcy, 2019 Annual Conference, The Southeastern Association of Law Schools (August 2019).
- Panelist, New Scholars Civil Procedure, 2018 Annual Conference, The Southeastern Association of Law Schools (August 2018).
- Presenter, Teaching Secured Transactions: Integrating Ethical/Professionalism Issues, Drafting Assignments, and Learning Outcomes/Assessments, 2016 Annual Conference, The Southeaster Association of Law Schools, Amelia Island, Florida (August 2016).
- Panelist, A New Fulcrum Point for City Survival, 2015 Annual Conference, The Southeastern Association of Law Schools, Boca Raton, Florida (August 2015).
- Panelist, Expanding The Ponzi Scheme Presumption, 2014 Annual Conference, Financial Regulation and Bankruptcy Workshop, The Southeastern Association of Law Schools, Amelia Island, Florida (August 2014).
- Presenter, Defending Against Bankruptcy Avoidance Lawsuits and Purchasing Assets from a Bankruptcy Estate, UBS Financial CPA Seminar, Salt Lake City, UT (June 2012).
- Panelist, Ask the Lawyers: What if the Unexpected Happens? Society of Industrial and Office Realtors, Salt Lake City, UT (April 2012).
- Panelist, Bankruptcy and Foreclosure Issues, Salt Lake Home Builders Association, Salt Lake City, UT (October 2011).
- Panelist, Debtor and Creditor Issues in Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, National Association of Home Builders’ Builder 20 Club #33 Annual Conference, Salt Lake City, UT (March 2010).