- M.S., University of North Texas 2005
- J.D., Drake University Law School with honors, 1993
- B.A., University of Dallas magna cum laude, 1989
License to Practice
- Colorado (inactive)
Specialties and Courses
- Business Law
- International Business Law
- Law for Accountants
- Employment Law Legal Research and Writing
Michael Forrest brings to the classroom practical knowledge as a trial lawyer and academic teaching experience from two law schools. His past legal employment includes a judicial clerkship with the United States District Court for the Southern District of Iowa, where he worked on prisoner rights and habeas corpus cases. Following that appointment, he was the judicial law clerk to Justice Linda K. Neuman at the Iowa Supreme Court.
In addition to serving state and federal court systems at the trial and appellate stages, Forrest practiced law as a litigator with the law firm Younge & Hockensmith, representing the municipalities and counties of Western Colorado as an insurance defense attorney in the areas of constitutional litigation and zoning compliance.
His faculty appointments have been at the University of the Incarnate Word teaching Business Law, Drake University Law School as the Assistant Director of Legal Writing, and St. Mary’s University School of Law as faculty in the Legal Research and Writing program.
- “The Accounting Doctoral Shortage: Accounting Faculty Opinions on Hiring JD-CPAs as Accounting Educators,” 9 Administrative Issues Journal 19-34 (2019)
- “Discharging Student Loans in Bankruptcy: Good Luck with That,” 23 Journal of the International Academy for Case Studies 16-19 (2017)
- “Teaching Business Law from Literature: Lessons to Be Learned from the Novel Mildred Pierce and the Road to Entrepreneurial Success,” 33 Journal of Legal Studies Education 361-377 (2016)
- “Bribery and China Go Together Like Yin and Yang,” 43 Cumberland Law Review 423-432 (2014)
- “A Fresh Look at the Constitutional Rights of Teens: Sex and Drugs at the Supreme Court,” 45 Idaho Law Review 71-92 (2008)
- Patent Reform: A Legislative History of the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act, Public Law 112-29 (Bridge Publishing Group, 2012)
- Health Care Reform: A Legislative History of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Public Law 111-148 (2010) (W.S. Hein & Co., 2011)
- Finance Reform: A Legislative History of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, Pub. L. 111-203 (2010) (Bridge Publishing Group, 2010)
- Intelligence Reform: A Legislative History of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004, Public Law No. 108-458 (2004) (W.S. Hein & Co., 2006)
- “JD-CPAs as Accounting Educators: Accounting Faculty Attitudes and Business School Accreditation Standards,” American Educational Research Association, April 2018, Annual Meeting, New York, New York.
- “Litigation as a Business Strategy: Art and Appropriation for a Piece of the Profits,” Southern Academy of Legal Studies in Business, March 2018, Annual Conference, San Antonio, Texas.
- “Looking Down the ‘Business’ End of a Colt Pistol: The Patent Story,” Southern Academy of Legal Studies in Business, March 2017, Annual Conference, San Antonio, Texas.
- “Conversations on Wills and Trusts,” Financial Planning Association of San Antonio & South Texas, April 2013, Financial Planning Symposium, San Antonio, Texas.