Chenglin (Gary) Liu
Professor of Law
- J.S.D, Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, 2005
- M.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002
- LL.M, Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, 2000
- LL.M. in European Law, Lund University Faculty of Law, Sweden, 1999
- LL.M., Dalian University of Technology, China, 1993
- LL.B., Shenyang Normal University, China, 1990
Specialties and Courses
- Chinese law
- European union law
- Law and economics
- Tort law
- Food and drug law
Liu is a professor of law at St. Mary’s University School of Law. Since joining St. Mary’s in 2007, he has taught Law and Economics, Torts, European Union Law, and Chinese Law. Liu’s research focuses on the interplay between food and drug law and transnational litigation from a comparative perspective.
His scholarly writings appeared in the Stanford Journal of International Law, Cornell International Law Journal, University of Pennsylvania Journal of Law and Social Change, University of Texas Journal of International Law, Mississippi Law Journal, and Washington University Journal of Law and Policy.
Liu is the author of a book entitled Chinese Law on SARS. His recent research on the regulation of organic food certification was cited in the Wall Street Journal.
Liu has taught European Union Law in the University of San Diego’s summer program in London, UK, and the St. Mary’s University summer program in Innsbruck, Austria. He has also taught Chinese Law in the St. Mary’s Institute on Chinese Law and Business at Beihang University in Beijing. He is a recipient of the 2018-2019 St. Mary’s University Alumni Association Distinguished Faculty Award.
- Chinese Law in Context, Carolina Academic Press, 2020
- (With Vincent R. Johnson), Studies in American Tort Law (6th ed.), Carolina Academic Press, 2018
- (With Vincent R. Johnson), Teaching Torts: A Teacher’s Guide to Studies in American Tort Law, Carolina Academic Press, 2018
- Chinese Law on SARS, Hein, 2004
- The World Health Organization: A Weak Defender Against Pandemics, 28 Virginia Journal of Social Policy & the Law, 174 (2021)
- Confucius and the Chinese Legal Tradition, 28 Michigan State International Law Review 477 (2020)
- Socialized Liability in Chinese Tort Law, 59 Harvard International Law Journal Online 16, (2018)
- Risks Faced by Foreign Lawyers in China, 35 Arizona Journal of International and Comparative Law 131, (2018)
- The Development of Chinese Constitutionalism, 48 St. Mary’s Law Journal 199, (2017)
- Escaping Liability via Forum Non Conveniens, 17 University of Pennsylvania Journal of Law and Social Change, 137 (2014)
- Leaving the FDA Behind: Pharmaceutical Outsourcing and Drug Safety, 48 Texas International Law Journal, 1 (2012)
- Is “USDA ORGANIC” a Seal of Deceit? The Pitfalls of USDA Certified Organics Produced in the United States, China and Beyond, 47 Stanford Journal of International Law 333 (2011).
- The Obstacles of Outsourcing Imported Food Safety To China, 43 Cornell Journal of International Law 249, (Lead Article, 2010).
- Profits Above The Law: China’s Melamine Tainted Milk Scandal, 79 Mississippi Law Journal 371, (2009).
- The Chinese Takings Law From A Comparative Perspective, 26 Washington University Journal of Law & Policy 301, (2008).
- Informal Rules, Transaction Costs And The Failure Of Chinese Takings Law 29 Hastings International & Comparative Law Review 1 (Lead Article, 2005). (Reprinted in Jose Maria Serna de la Garza,Derecho Comparado Asia-Mexico. Culturas y Sistemas Juridicos Comparados, IIJ-UNAM, 2007)
- Regulating SARS In China: Law As An Antidote? 4 Washington University Global Studies Law Review 81(2005). (Reprinted in Stoltzfus Jost, Readings in Comparative Health Law and Bioethics,Carolina Academic Press, 2007)
- Not All Organic Food Labels are Created Equal, Forbes, Nov. 11, 2015
- Is ‘organic’ really organic? A deep dive into the dirt, CNBC, Nov. 4, 2015
- Organic-Farming Boom Stretches Certification System, The Wall Street Journal, Dec. 9, 2014
- A Breach of Defense against the Ebola Virus, The Austin American-Statesman, Oct. 3, 2014