Mather served as Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs from 2005 to 2016. She teaches in the areas of Property, Family Law, and Wills, Estates and Trusts. She has also offered courses in Planning and Drafting Wills and Trusts, Land Use Planning, Environmental Law, and Human Rights, particularly in the area of Population Law and Policy. Biography
After graduating from the University of Illinois College of Law , she practiced in the areas of family law, real estate transactions, wills and trusts, landlord tenant and small business. She returned to the University of Illinois to complete her masters in law, concentrating on the property and land use areas. She joined the faculty in 1985.
As Associate Dean, she worked with students, faculty and staff in a variety of areas, including assessment, academic support, curriculum development, disability services, student development, and other academic matters.
Her research interests include family law, gender and the law, land use planning, and the intersection of family law and wealth transfer at death.
Appointed as the Vice Chair Texas Lawyers' Assistance Program Committee, 2018
Appointed to the Board of Trustees for the Texas Center for Legal Ethics, 2018
Appointed to the State Bar of Texas's Texas Lawyers’ Assistance Program Committee, 2015-2018.
Phi Delta Phi Outstanding Professor Award, 1988-89, (shared award); 1993-94.
St. Mary’s University Alumni Association Distinguished Faculty Award, 2010-11.
Taught as a visiting professor at the University of Illinois and the University of Texas.
Taught in the St. Mary’s Institute on World Legal Problems, Innsbruck, Austria
- “Testamentary Transfers,” for Thompson on Real Property (Michie, 1994).
- “Planned Unit Developments” and “Subdivision Controls” for The American Law of Real Property (Matthew Bender, 1991).
- “Adult Entertainment Zoning,” for Rohan, Zoning and Land Use Controls (Matthew Bender, 1990).
Essays and Articles
- Evolution and Revolution in Family Law, 25 ST. MARY’S L.J. 405 (1993).
- No Harm, No Foul Pornography (Violent and Otherwise), 14 UALR L.J. 455 (1992).
- Review Essay, A Scary Tale: Battered Women Who Kill Their Abusers, 18 OHIO N.U.L. REV. 601 (1992).
- The Magic Circle: Inclusion of Adopted Children in Testamentary Class Gifts, 31 S. TEX. L.J. 223 (1990).
- The Skeleton in the Closet: The Battered Woman Syndrome, Self-Defense, and Expert Testimony, 39 MERCER L. REV. 545 (1988).
- The Antitrust Implications of Municipal Land Use Planning, 33 WAYNE L. REV. 965 (1987).
- Population Law and Policy (for Innsbruck program as needed).
- Human Rights and Population Law and Policy (for Innsbruck program as needed).