Robert L. Summers Jr.
Professor of Law | Co-Director of LL.M. Program | Englehardt Research Fellow
- Master of Defense & Strategic Studies (M.D.S.& S.), University of Texas-El Paso (UTEP) (cand.)
- Certificate of Homeland Security, Bush Graduate School Texas A&M University, 2018
- Certificate of Advanced International Affairs, Bush Graduate School Texas A&M University, 2011
- M.A. International Relations, St. Mary’s University, 2007
- M.S.L.S., University of North Carolina, 1976
- J.D., College of William and Mary, 1974
- B.A., Williams College, 1967
Specialties and Courses
- Public International Law
- Admiralty and Maritime Law
- International Criminal Law
- International Environmental Law
- Homeland Security Law and Policy
- International White Collar Crime
- International Human Rights Law
- International Law of the Sea
- Law of Armed Conflict & Just War
- International Law of Cyber Warfare
- National Security-Intelligence Law & Policy
Professor Summers served as the director of the law library for 22 years during which he oversaw the planning and construction of the award-winning Sarita Kenedy East Law Library and the significant expansion and modernization of its staff, services, automation and collection.
During this time, Professor Summers retired from military service as a Navy Captain (06) (Intelligence Corps) having completed 22 years of active and reserve service. His service included multiple tours in Vietnam and also a tour as the commanding officer of a Naval Investigative Service unit specializing in criminal investigations, counter-terrorism and counter-intelligence. This experience plus his advanced studies in national/homeland security as well as international relations and international ethics during armed conflict inform the broad array of specialized and inter-disciplinary courses which he teaches for the J.D., M.Jur. and LL.M programs.
Professor Summers was the director and later co-director of the law school’s LL.M. program for nearly twenty years, and he has also taught as an adjunct professor in the St. Mary’s International Relations master’s degree program as well as the Cyber Security master’s degree program for the School of Science, Engineering and Technology.
- As the former Law Library Director for 22 years, he oversaw the construction of the award-winning Sarita Kenedy East Law Library and the expansion of its staff, services, automation and collection.
- Co-founder – St. Mary’s Center for Terrorism Law
- Adjunct Faculty – University of Texas at Austin Graduate School
- Adjunct Faculty – St. Mary’s University Graduate School (International Relations)
- Adjunct Faculty – St. Mary’s University School of Science, Engineering and Technology (Cybersecurity Law)
- Adjunct Faculty – University of Texas at San Antonio Graduate School (Cyber Law)
- Captain (06), U.S. Naval Reserve, Intelligence Corps (Retired), Vietnam Veteran and Intelligence Specialist with command experience in the Naval Investigative Service: criminal investigations, counter-terrorism and counter-intelligence