Robert H. Hu
Professor of Law
- Ph.D. in Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1996
- M.S. in Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1992
- LL.M., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1988
- LL.B., Beijing University, China, 1984
License to Practice
Specialties and Courses
- Legal research and writing
- Advanced legal research
- International intellectual property law
- Chinese intellectual property law
- Law library management
- Legal research and bibliography
- Information technology
Hu is a Professor of Law and Director of the Sarita Kenedy East Law Library at St. Mary’s University School of Law. He is also co-director of the Institute on Chinese Law & Business at the law school. Hu joined St. Mary’s University School of Law on June 1, 2005.
Before that he had worked at four American law schools: The College of William & Mary (1993-1997), Wake Forest University (1997-1999), Gonzaga University (1999-2000) and Texas Tech University (2000-2005).
- American Law Institute (ALI);
- Association of American Law Schools (AALS);
- American Bar Association (ABA);
- American Association of Law Libraries (AALL);
- Chinese and American Forum on Law Libraries and Legal Information (CAFLL);
- Southwestern Association of Law Libraries (SWALL)
- Research Guide to Chinese Copyright Law. 2nd ed. Buffalo, NY: William S. Hein & Co., Inc., 2016.
- Research Guide to Chinese Trademark Law and Practice. Durham, NC: Carolina Academic Press, 2009.
- Research Guide to Chinese Patent Law and Practice. Buffalo, NY: William S. Hein & Co., Inc., 2002.
- Guide to China Copyright Law Studies. Buffalo, NY: William S. Hein & Co., Inc., 2000.
Articles in a Periodical
- International Legal Protection of Trademarks in China. Marquette Intellectual Property Law Review 13 (December 2008): 69-121.
- Status and Tenure for Academic Law Librarians: A Survey. Law Library Journal 96 (Winter 2004): 127-165.
- A Resource Guide to Tax Law Careers. Legal Reference Services Quarterly, 22 (2003): 113-138.
- A Guide to Resources on Careers in Foreign and International Law. Law Library Journal 93 (Summer 2001): 479-493.
- ROIs Can Validate Your Library’s Value. AALL Spectrum, 7 (October 2002): 20, 27.
- ‘C’ Is for Communications. AALL Spectrum, 6 (March 2002): 28, 30.
- PR for Academic Libraries: Focus on the Faculty. AALL Spectrum, 6 (February 2002): 28, 32.
- Protection of Intellectual Property in China : A Selected Bibliography. University of Baltimore Intellectual Property Law Journal, 5 (Fall 1996/Spring 1997): 135-148.
- Spirit of innovation moves China forward. San Antonio Express-News (November 2017).