Robert H. Hu
Professor of Law
- Ph.D. in Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1996
- M.S. in Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1992
- LL.M., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1988
- LL.B., Beijing University, China, 1984
Specialties and Courses
- Legal research and writing
- Advanced legal research
- International intellectual property law
- Chinese intellectual property law
- Law library management
- Legal research and bibliography
- Information technology
Hu is a Professor of Law at St. Mary’s University School of Law. He is also Director of the Institute on Chinese Law & Business at the law school. Hu joined St. Mary’s University School of Law on June 1, 2005, and served as Director of the Sarita Kenedy East Law Library from 2005 to 2021. He left the library director’s position and began teaching full-time on the law school faculty in 2021.
Before that he had worked at four American law schools: The College of William & Mary (1993-1997), Wake Forest University (1997-1999), Gonzaga University (1999-2000) and Texas Tech University (2000-2005).
- American Law Institute (ALI);
- Association of American Law Schools (AALS);
- American Bar Association (ABA);
- American Association of Law Libraries (AALL);
- Chinese and American Forum on Law Libraries and Legal Information (CAFLL);
- Southwestern Association of Law Libraries (SWALL)
- Research Guide to Chinese Patent Law and Practice. 2nd ed. Getzille, NY: William S. Hein & Co., Inc., 2022.
- Research Guide to Chinese Copyright Law. 2nd ed. Buffalo, NY: William S. Hein & Co., Inc., 2016.
- Research Guide to Chinese Trademark Law and Practice. Durham, NC: Carolina Academic Press, 2009.
- Research Guide to Chinese Patent Law and Practice. Buffalo, NY: William S. Hein & Co., Inc., 2002.
- Guide to China Copyright Law Studies. Buffalo, NY: William S. Hein & Co., Inc., 2000.
Articles in a Periodical
- Reconstruction of the Reasonable Person Standard under Chinese Patent Law. (co-author). Marquette Intellectual Property & Innovation Law Review, Vol. 26 (Winter 2022): 11-45.
- Time to Reopen Houston Consulate, San Antonio Express-News (Dec. 6, 2021).
- St. Mary’s University Institute on Chinese Law and Business: Remarkable Success in the First Ten Years. St. Mary’s Law Journal, Vol 51, No. 4 (2020): 839-901.
- Arthur C.Y.Yao (1906-2004): A Pioneer Chinese Professor at St. Mary’s University School of Law. St. Mary’s Law Journal, Vol 51, No. 1 (2019): 131-171.
- International Legal Protection of Trademarks in China. Marquette Intellectual Property Law Review 13 (December 2008): 69-121.
- Status and Tenure for Academic Law Librarians: A Survey. Law Library Journal 96 (Winter 2004): 127-165.
- A Resource Guide to Tax Law Careers. Legal Reference Services Quarterly, 22 (2003): 113-138.
- A Guide to Resources on Careers in Foreign and International Law. Law Library Journal 93 (Summer 2001): 479-493.
- ROIs Can Validate Your Library’s Value. AALL Spectrum, 7 (October 2002): 20, 27.
- ‘C’ Is for Communications. AALL Spectrum, 6 (March 2002): 28, 30.
- PR for Academic Libraries: Focus on the Faculty. AALL Spectrum, 6 (February 2002): 28, 32.
- Protection of Intellectual Property in China : A Selected Bibliography. University of Baltimore Intellectual Property Law Journal, 5 (Fall 1996/Spring 1997): 135-148.
- Spirit of innovation moves China forward. San Antonio Express-News (November 2017).