Professor of Law
- J.D., (cum laude), Harvard Law School, 2008
- B.A., University of California with highest honors, 2000
- B.S., University of California with honors, 2000
License to Practice
Specialties and Courses
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Property Law
- Contracts Law
- Intellectual Property
Professor Batra is a nationally recognized speaker and scholar in the field of Alternative Dispute Resolution. He regularly offers training across the country on legal negotiation and mediation strategy, alternative dispute resolution pedagogy, and dispute resolution scholarship. Prior to St. Mary’s, he was Director of the Leadership and Appropriate Dispute Resolution (LADR) program for the US Air Force Academy, where he trained future Air Force officers in negotiation principles and strategy. Professor Batra was previously a full professor with tenure at Texas Tech University School of Law, where he taught courses on Alternative Dispute Resolution, Property Law, and Intellectual Property. He was awarded the President’s Excellence in Teaching Award in recognition of his teaching abilities. He has also been a Visiting Professor at the University of Oregon, UNLV Boyd School of Law, Santa Clara Law, teaching negotiation skills and applications. Professor Batra’s scholarship focuses on Dispute Resolution, and in particular applying dispute resolution perspectives to diverse fields such as criminal procedure and election law. His work has appeared in the George Mason Law Review, the Ohio State Law Review, and the Harvard Negotiation Law Review, among others. Professor Batra served as the co-chair of the ABA Section of Dispute Resolution Law Schools Committee, including co-chairing the national ABA Representation in Mediation Competition. He currently serves on ABA Section of Dispute Resolution Council, among other ADR service roles. Before Texas Tech, Professor Batra was a Visiting Assistant Professor at Whittier Law School. He was previously the Langdon Fellow in Dispute Resolution at The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law. At Moritz, Professor Batra taught Mediation and Negotiation courses and supervised students mediating hundreds of cases including small claims, landlord-tenant, and criminal matters. He is the co-founder and was the first director of the Ohio State Student Mediation Program.
Honors and Awards
- President’s Excellence in Teaching Award, 2014
Articles in a Periodical
- “Resolving Civil Forfeiture Disputes”, 66 KAN. L. REV. 399 (2017).
- “Using the Terms Integrative and Distributive Bargaining in the Classroom: Time for Change?”, 2017 J. DISP. RESOL. 29 (2017).
- “Improving the Uniform Partition of Heirs Property Act”, 24 GEO. MASON L. REV. 743 (2017).
- “Judicial Participation in Plea Bargaining: A Dispute Resolution Perspective”, 76 OHIO ST. L. J. 565 (2015).
- “Standards of Legitimacy in Criminal Negotiations”, 20 HARVARD NEGOT. L. REV. 61 (2015).
- “Military Education in Conflict Analysis and Transformation: Identifying the Needs of Today’s Airmen”, Air Force Negotiation Center Roundtable, April 20, 2021
- Dispute Resolution as Leadership, ABA Section of Dispute Resolution Spring Conference, April 17, 2021
- Considering Alternatives to Trial: Alternative Dispute Resolutions and Mediations, Practicing Law Institute, January 6, 2021
- Negotiating Plea Bargains: Strategic and Social Concerns, UC Davis School of Law Lawyering Skills Education Workshop Series, March 13, 2020, Davis CA
- Real Estate Owned with Others – the UPHPA, Estate Planning, Guardianship and Elder Law Conference, August 2, 2019, Galveston, TX