- J.D., St. Mary’s University School of Law, 2009
- B.A., Brandeis University, 2003
License to Practice
Director Rivas started her legal career in a clinical fellowship program at her law school alma mater. In addition to practicing civil litigation, she co-taught the clinical seminars and supervised law students in the civil clinical course. During her fellowship, she was also charged with coordinating the Center for Legal and Social Justice’s Pro Bono Program and Border Outreach Program.
In 2018, she was named Director of the Externship program after serving as the Associate Director since the program’s formal launch in 2011. Each semester she prepares students for their semester-long learning experience. Director Rivas is the primary contact and part of the support system for supervising attorneys hosting Externs each semester. She works with them individually and provides regular CLE workshops focused on supervisor effectiveness, ethics, and supervision issues. Additionally, she conducts employer and community outreach to expand experiential opportunities for students through the program. She coordinates with the faculty director, Assistant Dean Karen Kelley, other faculty members, and the Office of Career Services to ensure the program’s continued growth and success.
Her love of teaching and passion for education started after college as a Teach For America Corps member teaching middle school in the Rio Grande Valley. She currently serves as an advisory board member for Teach For America San Antonio.
- Navigating Crosscurrents: Challenges and Opportunities in Partnerships between Career Services and Externship Departments, Co-Presenter, NALP Annual Educational Conference, Chicago, Illinois, April 29, 2015
- Supervising the Millennial Generation: The Good, The Bad, and The Hopeful, Co-Presenter, Practice Credit Program Supervisor CLE, April 10, 2015
- Breaking it down: Effective Assignments, Discussion and Exercises, Co-Presenter, Fall 2014 Practice Credit Program Supervisor CLE
- What Makes a Good Mentor: Effective and Consistent Feedback, Discussion and Exercises, Co-Presenter, Spring 2014, Practice Credit Program Supervisor CLE
- Advertising and Selection Tips, Assignments: Long Term, Short Term and Routine, Co-Presenter, Fall 2013, Practice Credit Program Supervisor CLE
- Writing Feedback, Optimal Observations, and Five Minute Supervising Tips, Co-Presenter, Spring 2013 Practice Credit Program Supervisor CLE
- Tips for Mental Health Professionals Regarding Subpoenas, Court Testimony and Legal Liability, March 2012, Guest Speaker, St. Mary’s University Department of Counseling and Human Services
- Violence on the Border, Perseverance and Hope: Providing Help along the Border Guest Speaker, St. Mary’s University President’s Peace Commission Panel, Fall 2010