- J.D., magna cum laude, St. Mary’s University School of Law, 2013
- B.A., St. Edward’s University, 2010
- A.A.S., Austin Community College, 2008
License to Practice
Specialties and Courses
- Real estate law
- Business law
- Legal education
Cavanaugh graduated from St. Mary’s School of Law and went on to practice law in Texas for an Austin-based law firm specializing in real estate transactions and litigation. After two years with that firm, Afton co-founded a law practice with a fellow St. Mary’s graduate and served as Managing Member of Cavanaugh Quintanilla, PLLC. Their practice focused on real estate and business law ranging from general counsel to litigation. It also invested significant time in providing pro bono services to those in need.
Besides his law career, Afton is a dedicated community advocate. He serves on the Board of Directors for the Ending Community Homelessness Coalition (ECHO), a non-profit organization that aligns resources for community stakeholders to utilize in combating homelessness.
He also serves on the Board of Directors for the Council on At-Risk Youth, a nonprofit organization that helps troubled students learn and apply techniques to avoid the school-to-prison pipeline. Additionally, Afton serves on the board for the Austin Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce, a nonprofit dedicated to helping diverse businesses thrive.
- Afton Cavanaugh, Rich Dad vs. Poor Dad: Why Leaving Financial Education to Parents Breeds Financial Inequality & Economic Instability, 34 CHILD. LEGAL RTS. J. 59 (2013).
- Cavanaugh, Afton (2009, Nov.). Growing Up Homeless & Hungry in Austin. St. Edwards University. Meeting, Austin, Texas.
- Cavanaugh, Afton (2013, Mar.). Bluebook Basics. St. Mary’s University. Guest Lecturer, San Antonio, Texas.
- Cavanaugh, Afton (2016, Apr.). Working with Trans Clients: Insight for Future Counselors. Texas State University. Guest Speaker, Round Rock, Texas.
- Cavanaugh, Afton (2016, May.). Make Your Contracts Work For You. Real Estate Staging Association. Guest Speaker, Austin, Texas.