- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 1967
- B.A., Yale University, 1964
License to Practice
- United States Supreme Court
- Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- District Court for the Westerns District of Texas
Specialties and Courses
- Law Practice Management
Jon Wood was law clerk to the U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas 1967-1972, and practiced with Matthews and Brancomb and Cox Smith Matthews Incorporated.
Wood’s legal practice focused on energy and public utility industries in Texas, including natural gas transmission and distribution, electric generation, transmission and distribution and nuclear energy. His clients included national corporations doing business in Texas, Texas energy companies and governmental entities, which he advised on numerous regulatory and litigation matters as well as general counsel consultations.
He served as outside general counsel to San Antonio’s municipally-owned electric and gas company during the 1970’s and into the 1990’s and was general counsel for STP Nuclear Operating Company since its foundation in 1997 through 2011.
He also served as managing partner of a large local firm 1978 to 1992 and 1992 to 2000. He retired from full-time practice of law in 2012 and has taught law practice management at the St. Mary’s University School of Law from 2013 to the present.
Honors and Awards
- Associate Editor Texas Law Review, Order of the Coif Martindale-Hubble AV
- The Best Lawyers in America 1986-2012
- Texas Super Lawyer 2003-2005, 2007